Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pretty Sure Paula Deen would be proud of me!

I just cooked the best herb roasted chicken you've never tasted!  Fresh rosemary from my garden, 3 cloves of garlic, and a stick of butter (Paula Deen, y'all) was all it took.  And the best part is that the less than $4 chicken fed the whole family, including Joel, with enough left for me to make chicken and dumplings tomorrow.  Here is the break down on the two meals I will have made out of this chicken:

Saturday:  Herb roasted chicken, brown sugar carrots, and Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes (I am only human)
Sunday:  Chicken and Dumplings (will need canned broth)

Total spent on the two meals combined, probably about $5 - $6.  That doesn't count the box of Bisquick, but that's hard to break down since it's something I have "on hand". 

It was a messy pain to clean all the chicken off the bones, but I think in the end it was faster and will taste better than if I had cooked a couple of chicken breasts. 

I have also been browsing the sales for this coming week.  I know I am heading to Publix to buy a London Broil, and I'm thinking I might do lobster tails, too.  Not particularly thrifty, but at $4.99/tail it's not unreasonable.  I know how I'd cook it, but what would I serve with it?  I welcome your thoughts!  That'll have to be a night the girls get to pick their own dinner.  I'm 99% sure Lucy wouldn't touch a lobster tail with a 10 foot pole.  My other two little vacuum cleaner eaters would probably scarf it down, but I'm thinking that lobster might be a little much for a 3 year old and a not-yet-9-month-old!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea Carrie. Safeway had whole chickens dirt cheap this week (looked because of your suggestion), so I picked up 2. I've been trying to cook meals for my parents as well to help out a bit since my dad is still looking for a job and they do so much for us. Yummy cheaper meals is always a plus! Question, how'd you prep the chicken with the butter/rosemary/garlic? Outside of the skin, under, or in the cavity? Thx!

    Not seafood eaters here, but I think my lemon rice recipe would go well with it. It's always a hit with any kind of meat.
    2 cups uncooked white rice(I use Uncle Ben's long grain)
    Juice of 1 ½ lemons
    1/2 cube of butter
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 chicken bouillon cubes (mash in fingers)
    1 tsp salt
    Pepper to taste(after rice is cooked, I use lots!)


    Melt butter, add rice & lemon juice. Cook stirring until rice is toasted (few minutes). Add broth, mashed bouillon cubes, and salt. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is gone. Add pepper to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rubbed the butter both over the skin as well as under the skin, and then also in the cavity. The thing was literally covered!

    We don't eat much seafood, either, but that does sound like it would go really well with fish. I may try that the next time I do Tilapia (another really cheap meal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to get whole chickens and make a few meals out of them. I usually try to pick some up when I find them at a good deal and stick them in the freezer to have. I will stock up on Chicken breasts when I find them for 1.99 a pound or less. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete