Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Memories.......

Oh, how I love Chicken N' Dumplins!  It's one of those foods that for me conjures specific memories of nights at the kitchen table.  My C n' D turned out great tonight.  Lucy wasn't a fan, but dutifully ate her two bites.  Lily loved the broth, but I'm not sure she took any bites with chicken or dumplins in them.  I wonder if my girls will some day cook C n' D for their own kids and think back fondly on nights at the dining room table?  Probably not Lucy!

Chicken N' Dumplins (as prepared tonight by me)

1/2 a large stock pot full of water (I'm going to guess it was a 3 1/2 quart pot, probably about 1 3/4 - 2 quarts)
3 large chicken breasts

Simmer chicken until cooked through.  Remove from broth, skim nasty stuff from broth, cut chicken into bite sized pieces and return to broth.

Combine 1/2 cup flour with water until it is a thin paste.  Add slowly to broth.  Broth will become very cloudy, almost opaque)  Bring broth to a boil.

2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
Combine Bisquick and milk until it makes a sticky dough.  Drop by spoonfuls into broth, cook UNCOVERED for ten minutes.  COVER and cook another 10 minutes.  Dumplins should be fluffy and float at the top.

There is also a fantastic easy recipe for shortcake on the Bisquick box.  I made that during the twenty minutes I was waiting for the dumplins to cook.  Consider pairing the C n' D with strawberry shortcake for dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy Carrie's Chicken-N-Dumplins. I was kinda sad that she didn't send the leftovers with me for lunch today. Probably hoarding for herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    You need to start adding photos to these posts.

    ReplyDelete